We were extremely blessed to have such a healthy pregnancy with Baby A and we’re almost halfway through another healthy pregnancy. I wanted to share with you one of the ways I’ve stayed healthy during my pregnancies.
Te first things my midwife did was put me on a vitamin regimen for the duration of my pregnancy. Taking my vitamins was important for maintaining my health and it was extremely important in aiding in the development of my babies. I was a little overwhelmed at first with the amount I was supposed to take but I reminded myself that I wasn’t doing this for me. In addition to what they recommended, I’ve added some pregnancy safe supplements.
My Prenatal Vitamin & Supplement Regimen
1. A good ‘ole prenatal vitamin – I currently use the Target Up & Up brand because they were the cheapest ones they had.
2. 42 Fruits & Vegetables – There are so many benefits to adding these supplements or other like them to your daily routine, pregnant or not. They are a fast & easy way to increase your daily servings of fruits, vegetables, and plant foods.
3. Omega-3 EPA & DHA Fish Oil – Omega-3 fish oils are great for preventing and maintaining heart disease. Plus, an increased intake of Omega 3s during pregnancy can “prevent pre-term labor and delivery, lower the risk of pre-eclampsia and may increase birth weight.” (American Pregnancy) And studies have shown that a deficiency in Omega-3s can increase a new mom’s risk of postpartum depression.
Also check out these sources on the benefits of Omega-3:
4. Culturelle – or any brand of probiotic. The benefits of probiotics are immense and those benefits are passed on to your baby during pregnancy. Taking probiotics regularly has helped me have better digestion with this pregnancy (I didn’t take them during my first) and I know that my immune system has benefited. My husband has gotten a severe cold and a stomach bug in the past few weeks and I’ve caught nothing more than a runny nose and some nausea from him!! That never happens, I’m usually the first one to get sick!
Here’s some more info on probiotics and pregnancy:
5. Colace – or a pregnancy safe stool softener. Without going into too much detail, let’s just say that this is a must for me during pregnancy. Plus, it’s recommended for new mommies to take immediately after vaginal delivery to help keep things flowing more comfortably down there.
Here are some resources about pregnancy-safe stool softeners:
Where Can I Get My Vitamins?
I purchase most of my family’s vitamins from Vitacost.com. They’re reasonably priced and maintain an extremely high quality. You can use my referral link to get $10 off your purchase of $30 or more…and when you purchase, I’ll get $10 off my next order too!
Like I mentioned above, I get my generic prenatal vitamins from Target, WalMart, or wherever I shop when I need them.
Also, if you’re interested in adding some healthy supplements to your daily routine, check out JuicePlus. They have a variety of ways for you to add the nutrition from fruits/veggies to your routine. You can visit my dear friend Shannon’s JuicePlus site to learn more.
So tell me,
What vitamins/supplements do you take during pregnancy?
What vitamins/supplements did you continue postpartum?
Please remember that I am not a medical professional, this is just an anecdotal post containing my personal experience. You should consult with your midwife or doctor before starting any vitamin/supplement regimen. Pay attention to your body and listen to what it’s telling you…find what works for you!